Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mexico Adventures

Wow, I really haven't been keeping up with this blog!! My Mum is teaching blogs for her school and I enjoy reading Gini's and Lisa's so I guess I might start writing again (we will see...). Today is Valentine's Day and I woke up to a Reese's chocolate heart with Reese's pieces inside - YUM. It's gone now. Brad also gave me a bunch of flowers. I was VERY impressed that he bought them the day before when I was at school and kept them out the back in water and then suprised me on Valentine's morning. What a hubby :) We have had a relaxing day and am looking forward to going to a charity dinner put on by the missionary children here. They are going to serve us a three course meal!

On another note...I thought I would use this blog to write about random things that happen here in Mexico that most of you wouldn't realise...I'll start by just writing some random things that have happened here in the last 8 months.

1) At around 9pm every night in our quiet street a Mexican man walks with his little cart of corn and yells and the top of his loungs - ELOTTTTTESSSSSSSSS! (corn in Spanish). Even after being here 8 months I still think it's awesome (the yelling) and it brings a smile to my face. Also because back in June when Ben & Becky where here we couldn't figure out what he was saying...and one day Ben walked out and yelled "AHHH AHH eeee" (because that's what it sounded like at the time)...It brought loads of laughter and we still tell alot of people the story. ... One day I will buy some corn from him


2) Pretty much everytime we get in our car to go somewhere there is some sort of road blockage...sometimes it's the teachers striking. This means
they just all stand in the middle of the street and block main roads and even access to the aiport and the gvt lead you to back roads. One time we were going to our friend's house, which is only 5 minutes away, and the main road to their house was blocked with a FERRIS WHEEL...there were about 50 people just setting up for that night to have a little fiesta!!



3) On a lighter note, we buy containers of fruit for about 70c...fresh tasty pineapple :) OH YEAHH!


Well that's all for today.

3 comments:

benito444 said...

It looks like I'm the first to comment. Man, I had forgotten about that elotes thing. That was a great memory. Keep the blogs coming.

Vicki said...

Hi, Becca and Brad,

I'm so glad you had a nice Valentine's Day! We just got back from Cancun and I am about to take a nice long hot bath and go to bed so I can be ready to catch up on things at work this week! The trip was great, though. Danny surprised me on Valentine's Day by buying a ring and neclace I had shown him I was admiring at one of the resort shops (not terribly expensive - sterling silver with peritdot, my birthstone, and zirconia). He placed the little jewelry pouch on the dress I had laid out on the bed to wear to the Horton banquet that night which I was still getting ready for when he left early to set up the projector and presentation. I was very touched to find it waiting for me there when I went to get dressed! On evening event Danny and I ended up sitting at a table full of distributors who spoke Spanish and very little English. We were there first and they sat down. We didn't have to worry about making conversation because we didn't know the language. I thought you guys would think that was pretty funny. Every year we return and say we need to learn Spanish! I know you guys have some very interesting adventures there. One day we will share some of them with you! Love, Vicki/Mom

Hewitt's said...

Hi guys, Thanks for your comments, it's nice to know someone is reading it!!