Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pregnancy : everyday brings something different


From what I have heard every phase of pregnancy brings with it something new and different. The first week after we found out I was pregnant was so amazing. We did three pregnancy tests just to make sure (all your women who have had babies will know the lines on those things are sooo dim and skinny). Then if that wasn't enough we went down and had a blood test. The joy on both our faces when we opened the envelope and it said "POSITIVO" was something we won't forget. Then we started reading a bunch of stuff and looking online into eating etc. Brad wrote a plan of what I should be eating each day and I had such an appetite and joy I was eating everything and thinking "this is a breeze."

I guess after a week or two the HORMONES started going and then the crazy reaction to smells. The worst smells for me have been cheese, eggs (but I'm allergic to them so that makes sense), smoking, the smell of our dog Luna when she's dirty and the worst one - dirty hand towels and rags in the kitchen. A number of times I have walked into the kitchen and walked straight back out to the bathroom. One side effect I guess is that Brad did all the cooking for a few weeks cause I couldn't stand to be near the kitchen. For a few weeks I ate the most boring foods - rice cakes, vegemite toast, plain pasta, bananas and for some reason I have been craving MILK - which is really strange cause before I was pregnant I would never drink a glass of plain milk.

After that came the phase of crying for no reason and thinking that I was a bad mother already because I was so emotional and crazy over nothing. Luckily that passed relatively quickly and I had a good talk to my sister in law in Australia. Although she tells me those feeling will come back throughout the pregnancy!

I thought most of the morning sickness was over until the last two teams we had we were travelling back late at night and if you have been to Mexico you will have heard of TOPES. These aren't normal speed bumps, in Mexico we put them every 100 metres and they are super giant ones that make your body shake when you go over them (ok slight exaggeration). Anyways baby does NOT like Topes so we pulled the van over and I threw up on the side of the road. Not really the most glamorous pregnancy experience but hey as everyone tells me "I've been there" (people who have kids)...

This week has been another first. My appetite has returned as well as the desire to exercise. Last night I went to my pilates class and I'm going again on Wednesday. It felt great. I'm looking forward to the rest of the pregnancy and all the other "firsts" that are to come!

5 comments:

jaime said...

Rebecca, I feel you!! My first trimester with our first daughter we were living in Tlaxiaco and I had horrible, horrible nausea the entire day all 3 months. Making that 3 hour windy drive into the city was a chore! Especially for the people sharing the van when I had to jump out before losing my stomach. At least once I didn't make it- yuck.

I'm so glad you're feeling great!! Enjoy the next few months, it'll be over so soon :)

Vicki said...

It is neat to read all of the little everyday things that have gone on since you and Brad found out you were pregnant. I've been feeling a bit sad lately thinking I may not even see you pregnant (in person) and that we won't get to be there when the baby is born and then may not get to see the baby for a long stretch. But we will just have to see how things go. I do rejoice everytime I think of you getting to be with your mom and dad and family, though, Becca. That is really important. I am so glad you are entering the 2nd trimester and that your appetite has returned!

Vicki said...

I forgot to say, "Watch out for those TOPES!" :)

Hewittfolks said...

Ahh, hormones. Aren't they great? I felt pretty normal through the pregnancy, thankfully. But the first couple of weeks after the babies were born I would get to be kind of a wreck at night and I could cry at any moment. Not a frame of mind to be proud of as a new mother!

Gini Stowe said...

Your life is forever and eternally changed. You are now a wife and a mother. I am really happy for you and Brad. What great parents you will be. Keep up the journal on your pregnancy. It is really a blessing to read and know that you are not alone in your journey.

Gini